Showa and Utsurimono
- 7 days old – Keep all kuroko (black fry).
- 50-70 days old – Discard bad body shapes, white, black, orange, yellow, heads cover black, white , red, black edged pectorilal fins.
- 50-70 days old – Keep large white areas, potential good sumi, discard red or yellow spots.
- 50 – 70 days old – Discard yellowish body, shirobo, light Hi. Keep clear body, translucent shiroji will become snow white skin, yellowish red beautiful, orange Hi will become hi quality Hi.
- 50-70 days old – Discard shirobo, kurobo, akazukin (red hooded) and zubohaki (wearing pants), hachikuma (black dots on heads), tora (half red and half black). Keep soko sumi (sumi that is faintly visible), sumi shows earlier than Hi, proper sumi, shimmies, tejima (stable sumi, fade without tejima), Hi plateds important.